Monday, September 21, 2009

Gestational Diabetes not for me!

Did I mention at my last appointment I took my one hour glucose test?  I think this little tidbit was forgotten because we found out the baby's gender and jumped right into the nursery shopping and decorations.

I have heard so many horror stories about the drink, about the blood draw, that I wasn't looking forward to it.  The doctor didn't give me any pre-test instructions.  He just said that when I check in for my appointment, the receptionist would give me the drink, follow her instruction and I was to hang around until the hour was up for the blood draw.

My appointment was early morning.  I was only awake 1 hour before arriving.  I had planned on not eating anything before my appointment, so they could get my fasting numbers.  I figured if I ate, it would be too close to the blood draw and it would give me a poor result.  Again, this was my personal preference, not the instruction from the doctor.

Sure enough, I checked in and was promptly given a small bottle of cold, orange flavor, glucose drink.  My only instruction was to drink within 5 minutes and let the receptionist know when I finished.  It tasted as sugary as a flat orange soda, but this one was fizzy.  It went down quickly, no bad aftertaste or gave me any nausea from being so sweet.  Maybe because I have consumed tons of sugar over my lifetime that I wasn't affected by the excess sugar taste?  Not sure, but really didn't see what the big deal was.  If anything, I drank it too fast and got a little heartburn from chugging the fizzy drink.  I let the receptionist know I was done, and she informed the blood pathologist, (they have their own in their office) to start the time.

Timing worked out great, because after a short wait,  we went in for our appointment with the doctor, which ate up most of the hour.  The doctor reminded me to not leave until my blood draw, and that he would call me only if the results came back with GD.  So, no news would be good news. 

About 15 minutes later, the blood pathologist called me in for the blood draw.  She took another 2 vials of blood.   We go straight for the butterfly needle in the hand, because the nurses can never get a good shot of the veins in my arms.  They appear, but are too deep under the skin and flab to easily stick.  It was a quick process.  She just wanted to know if I ate a normal breakfast, which I told her I didn't, and that was the end of it.  No fuss, no muss.

The better news?  It has been 2 weeks at I never did hear from the doctor. so I guess no gestational diabetes for me!  Woo Hoo!  I will get confirmation from the doctor at my next appointment, Sept. 30th.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for no news! I've had the three hour test and everyone warned me of the taste of the liquid but it wasn't bad to me either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for no diabetes! My Dad is a diabetic so I am going to have him periodically check my blood sugar throughout my pregnancy just to make sure I am doing ok. He has diabetes so of course the red flags are flying for me. That and the fact I am overweight. Cross your finges for me.
    If you don't mind me asking, what size did you start out at and what size are you now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies. Amanda, I was a size 26 or 3x/4x, pre-pregnancy. I haven't gained much, even at this point. I can still wear my regular work pants which are fitted, button/zip pants from Lane Bryant. I wear 3x or 4x shirts, and buy the 3x maternity shirts from Motherhood Maternity outlets.

    ReplyDelete